Thank you! Sounds like something I can work with and probably the most accurate usable analysis.

      From: Paul Roser <[log in to unmask]>
 To: [log in to unmask]
 Sent: Monday, November 14, 2016 7:25 PM
 Subject: Re: What do you call this phoneme?

On Mon, 14 Nov 2016 15:38:25 +0000, And Rosta <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>On 14 November 2016 at 15:11, The Scribbler <
>[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> Ah. I had a feeling this allophone had turned into something else
>> altogether. I didn't know it was no longer aspirated when it went
>> fricative. Thank you.
>>
>> I shall try the inhalation trick, though I admit it's really difficult
>> with this one because it's technically made by exhaling through the word.
>> How do?
>>

>Do it with egressive (pulmonic) airstream, and then, keeping the position
>of the supraglottal articulators unchanged, switch to ingressive (pulmonic)
>airstream.
>

>> Considering the airflow over the sides of the tongue, I think a lateral
>> fricative of some kind should be a valid analysis. Though I do wonder,
>> should I just ignore the sibilant aspect in trying to notate it? Because
>> when I read through the lateral fricatives this morning, there didn't seem
>> any acknowledgement of that possibility.
>>

>My phonetic knowledge might be coming up a bit short here. AIUI, phonetic
>sibilance is the acoustic effect of the extreme turbulence of the airstream
>that results from it being jetted against the teeth. In that case, anything
>that can squirt air against the teeth, which should include lateral
>fricatives, should count as sibilants. But I stand to be corrected.
>
>--And.

I believe that that is the {most widespread) definition of sibilance. Doing a little googling earlier today, there is a relationship drawn between sibilance and stridency - which is linked to high energy peaks in a sonogram. There has not been a huge amount of research done on lateral fricatives that I've been able to find, but I believe that the segment initially described in this thread could be either a palatal or velar lateral fricative. I cannot locate the paper at the moment, but recall reading that one study indicated that lateral fricatives seem to combine characteristics of both dorsal fricatives ([x],[X]) and sibilants ([s],[S]) - but I have also come away with the distinct impression that there may be considerable variation in the production of lateral fricatives among speakers of languages which employ them.

-Bfowol