Den 2016-11-17 kl. 09:30, skrev Vítor De Araújo:
> On 15/11/2016 12:53, BPJ wrote:
>> When I first produced [ɬ] by accident many years ago I thought of it as
>> a mixture of [ʃ] and [x] and wrote it _sch_. Not recommended! (The One
>> True Spelling of [ɬ] is _hl_ as any Icelander will tell you! :-)
>
> Isn't Icelandic 'hl' a voiceless [l] rather than [ɬ] though?

It's usually transcribed {l̥} by analogy with {n̥ r̥ m̥ ŋ̊} but it
is certainly fricative. You will also find {j̊} rather than {ç}
for _hj_, which is equally fricative, in transcriptions of
Icelandic. Moreover when the transcription practices for Icelandic
were established the IPA hadn't adopted the {ɬ} symbol yet. Old
habits die hard, you know.

/bpj