Den 2016-11-15 kl. 03:25, skrev Paul Roser:

> I believe that that is the {most widespread) definition of sibilance. Doing a little googling earlier today, there is a relationship drawn between sibilance and stridency - which is linked to high energy peaks in a sonogram. There has not been a huge amount of research done on lateral fricatives that I've been able to find, but I believe that the segment initially described in this thread could be either a palatal or velar lateral fricative. I cannot locate the paper at the moment, but recall reading that one study indicated that lateral fricatives seem to combine characteristics of both dorsal fricatives ([x],[X]) and sibilants ([s],[S]) - but I have also come away with the distinct impression that there may be considerable variation in the production of lateral fricatives among speakers of languages which employ them.

In Semitic languages lateral fricatives have become (ordinary)
sibilants. Indeed they are notated _ś_ and the like because the
insight that they were originally lateral is a recent one.
(Wot? Study unwritten hillmen's languages in south Arabia in
earnest? My dear Herr Professor Doktor, what an odd idea!)

When I first produced [ɬ] by accident many years ago I thought of
it as a mixture of [ʃ] and [x] and wrote it _sch_. Not
recommended! (The One True Spelling of [ɬ] is _hl_ as any
Icelander will tell you! :-)

Den 2016-11-14 kl. 15:14, skrev And Rosta:
 > Do you know the trick of inhaling
 > while (voicelessly) making the sound? The inflowing air cools
the gums and
 > tongue at the point of entry, which helps you identify the
point of entry.
 > (Be careful if you are not young, & have teeth sensitive to cold.)

Good to know I'm not the only one. Thankfully I can still do it if
I cover my upper right teeth with my tung.  It kind of cripples
the articulation sometimes tho!

/bpj