> I'll probably use other quoting mechanisms.
what do you have in mind?

> Etymology is a good idea, except that it can be a lot of work
How?  I'm having trouble thinking of something.  Could you give an example?
There's cumulative effort of translating all the names, but at the end you
have an awesome catalogue of names translated into your language, that
would each tell a story of the origin of the name.

Might be a fun exercise to take a list of 20 popular names (say from
http://www.babycentre.co.uk/a25014509/top-10-baby-names-around-the-world-2014
) and try translate them

>the main speakers are supposed to be non-human and might not have a word
for "god" etc.
translate god as "big/powerful/whatever person/thing/creator" :P

Might also be interesting to look at heraldry in this context?

Will you use first names/surnames (or some other subdivision) - if the
speakers are non-human, maybe they won't care about parentage and just go
with identifiers, or maybe they'd name based on species?

The other big source of proper nouns are place-names.  Do you have a
strategy for that?