I've been making and selling fonts for a few years now, and I can only
recommend you to use a good font editor. Nothing spoils your enjoyment
of font making more than a tortuously complicated and crash-prone
workflow.

If you're on a Mac, Glyphs is hands-down the best editor you can get.
It's not free, but it comes with a «Mini» version for 40.— that already
supports ligatures... and you can try out the full version for a month for
free.

http://glyphsapp.com

Also, don't work in Illustrator and then import the glyphs to a font editor.
A good font editor has much better path-drawing tools than Illustrator.
You're just adding clutter to your workflow.

Here's an example of my recent font making:

https://www.behance.net/gallery/28579883/Cormorant-an-open-source-display-font-family