> Date:    Tue, 3 Jan 2017 12:35:49 -0800
> From:    Garth Wallace <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: CONSCRIPT: Towards an Indigenous Dictionary of Siye
>
> On Tue, Jan 3, 2017 at 10:48 AM, Anthony Miles <[log in to unmask]>
> wrote:

> > Stroke count, however,  is a bit trickier.  The majority of  The
> > mothers and daughters have between three and five strokes.  Due to
> > the genesis of the writing system in our world, there are no one
> > stroke characters or mothers. So stroke number is not sufficient
> > and itself to distinguish many of the characters for what I'm going
> > to call alphabetization,  although I know that is not the correct
> > term.  Currently I am thinking that the construction of a native
> > dictionary would require a combination of stroke number and stroke
> > order  and also the left or right component of the mother.

> I believe the correct term is "collation".

In an abugida with tone marks I've seen a well-defined order of
consonants, a well-defined order of vowels, and a well-defined order of
tone marks fail to gel together to define a consistent collation.  It
makes using a dictionary a bit of an adventure!  (One can find the same
word reasonably positioned in different locations several pages apart!)
 I think the Siye system is open to such confusion, if so desired.

Richard.