On Thu, 5 Jan 2017 15:27:53 +0000
Pete Bleackley <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I'm in the process of setting up a wiki about conlang scholarship and
> criticism, and I'm finding that the wiki engine I'm using doesn't
> encode non-ascii characters properly.
> Anyone have any idea what I need to do to fix this?

Looking at the results, I see that Volapük appears as Volaük. Now the
UTF8 encoding of ü is C3BC, which is the UTF16 encoding of ü, so it
looks like there's been some sort of confusion between Linux and
Windows at some point. Alternatively it could be a fault in the Python,
using str() instead of unicode() — I might be talking rubbish here, as
I've never used Python!