On Fri, 6 Jan 2017 12:55:13 +0000, Douglas Koller <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>[James Campbell wrote:]
>>Con-botany no, as Jameld is set on this Earth with only minor, very specific tweaks.
>
>Likewise, I guess. Folksy plant and animal nomenclature just evolve slowly.

I see I tripped over a polysemy of "botany" here.  One reading is which plants there are, the other is how the speakers classify them.  (At a stretch one could say "botanetics" and "botanemics"...)  It was the second I was thinking about.  On a flimsy pretext, I admit: it's much less eyebrow-raising to have a word meaning _Tradescantia pallida_ than to have one which matches English "wandering jew" and its weird range of application.

All of my serious languages, aside from the Akana ones, are set on Earth (with no points of divergence far enough back in time to muck with the course of evolution).  So I don't have con-species either.  But folk taxonomy intimidates me, at least in the small.  How am I supposed to decide whether to have a mouse--rat or a wasp--hornet or a black salsify--purple salsify distinction, or so on for hundreds of instances?  not to mention where the dividing lines are!

>>When it comes to con-games, we have wenjeldönt (literally "angle-bounce", and known in English as "angleball", and not to be confused with any similarly named game), which is an invented game I used to play in my youth with friends; it is something like an elaborate game of catch played on a badly remembered Eton Fives court.

The time I mentioned that I briefly thought about games, for the world with Pjaukra and Sabasasaj and so on in it, prompted by seeing a chess variant in a second or third conworld putatively independent of Earth and going "yeah, chess-likes are clearly overrepresented, I'm not having one of those".  But what I came up with was mostly humbler stuff: races, tag, target-shooting with scores, string figures, guess-how-many-stones-I-picked-up.  I did have an encircling game (like Go is) played on a smallish circly board inspired by something from Murray's _A history of board games other than chess_ but I don't remember it now.

Alex