Dear All,

I use a syringe and tap water and am satisfied with this method.
My indication for cerumen removal is decreased hearing as the primary complaint.

From time to time I am a victim of this dreaded condition.
The chief clinical finding is muffled heart sounds (my patients - not my own).

The ENT folks have just published a 29 page clinical practice guideline on the management of cerumen impaction.
It is supported by 121 references.
I guess some folks have a lot of time on their hands.
I have attached it for your reading pleasure - enjoy!

Milton Tenenbein

-----Original Message-----
From: Pediatric Emergency Medicine Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Howard, John
Sent: Wednesday, March 22, 2017 10:28 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Cerumen impaction

Hello group:

I was curious who uses colace in the PED to assist with cerumen impaction?  The guidelines I've read say 1 ml on affected side, leave cotton in ear, reassess in 20-30 min.

-Do any of you use this?

-If so, do you keep it stocked inside your ED?  (I think waiting for our pharmacy to deliver it to us in the ED would add too much time to an otherwise straight-forward visit.)

Thanks for your feedback,

John Howard, DO

Advocate Children's Hospital

This e-mail, and any attachments thereto, is intended only for use by the addressee(s) named herein and may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail (or the person responsible for delivering this document to the intended recipient), you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, printing or copying of this e-mail, and any attachments thereto, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please respond to the individual sending the message and permanently delete the original and any copy of any e-mail and any printout thereof.

For more information, send mail to [log in to unmask] with the message: info PED-EM-L The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is:
                 http://listserv.brown.edu/ped-em-l.html