Interesting set of questions!

I'll just address this one for now:

"the physical places I want to tag ... manifest in the text in a variety
of ways"

The TEI is a bit old fashioned perhaps in making a strong ontological
distinction between tagging about a named entity (a place) and its
manifestation (a placename). That's because it is, after all, the TEXT
encoding initiative, not the THING encoding initiative. So the name of a
place as it appears in a document is an intimate part of the document,
which you might well want to tag as signalling something or other.
Whereas all the things you might want to say about the thing being
signalled are probably not present in the document at all, or not in the
same place, or not in the same way. So we have both <placeName> for the
former and <place> for the latter. You might lump together all the names
used for a place as child elements of a <place> element, along with some
indication of the way in which the names are applied, and also along
with geographical information relating to the place as a real world
object. That isn't a part of your text in the same way as the references
to it and you would typically not put it inside your transcription but
inside the metadata for describing it. You might simply flag all the
references as they occur within the document and indicate that each one
is "about" the same thing by means of a @ref or @key attribute on the
reference. You might do both!