Ethically or not, I went ahead and did it anyway.

The Word of the Lord is now available in a pure TEI form, available for free download at https://github.com/lb42/KJV_1611/

I'll add more documentation of the process in due course.

On 18/03/17 02:16, Martin Mueller wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">

That’s beyond my technical paygrade, though perhaps I could learn how to do this. I worry more about its being ethical, especially when the text is the Bible! On the other hand, if it’s legal and I can get the technical chops that may be what I’ll end up doing. The Hathi Trust has a Bible printed in Cambridge in the 1630’s and it is unquestionably an edition of the Authorized Version. But the underlying OCR is mainly garbage.

From: Misha Broughton <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Friday, March 17, 2017 at 5:39 PM
To: Martin Mueller <[log in to unmask]>
Cc: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: 1611 King James Bible

Could you script the downloads with wget or something similar?

Misha

On Mar 17, 2017 6:14 PM, "Martin Mueller" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Is there a free  digital version of the 1611 King James Bible in its original spelling? The TCP doesn’t have it. The Oxford Text Archive has a version in  standardized spelling.  At http://kingjamesbibleonline.org there is an original spelling version, and it is aligned with good images (which appear to come from Penn), but you can’t download it as a whole, though you could get it chapter by chapter, which would be pretty tedious.