Hello--
First off, apologies if this isn't the correct forum for this question.

I'm just embarking on a doctoral dissertation in which I hope to do a spatial analysis of a rather complex 20th-century novel. I'm a programmer (in another life) and have quite a bit of experience with GIS and XML and was planning to use it to tag the text I'm analyzing so I can generate statistics, charts, maps and other data-driven visualizations of the novel's inner workings.

After (re)discovering TEI (I worked with it way back in the 90s in a completely different way), it seems that I could adapt it to my use case, but I'm a bit uncertain of how best to capture all of the variables I want to look at. I have found many examples of TEI encoded texts, but none that go too deep into this particular brand of literary criticism. For example, these are some of the variables that interest me with a few examples:

--mappable places  (physical locations in the plot, literary overlapping, allusions, trajectories, overlapping with author's biography)
--changes in position (forward/backward/turns, uphill/downhill, stops,  fast/slow, inside/outside)
--narration and voice (1st person, 3rd person, subjective/objective/omniscient, stream of consciousness)
--semantic fields (colors, sickness, science, feelings, physical states, atmospheric conditions)
--rhetorical devices (anaphora, metonymy, paranomasia, juxtaposition)
--intertextuality (allusion, quotation, parody)
--time alterations (analepsis/prolepsis/flash sideways/foreshadowing, anachronism)
--verbs (type, aspect, mode, tense)

I'm fully prepared to invent my own tagging scheme, if it makes sense to do so, but if something already exists and has been implemented with success, I'd much prefer to replicate what I can and contribute another example (or many!).

Is anyone else using TEI in this way? Are there any resources (aside from the obvious TEI Guidelines) and especially examples that would be useful for someone just starting out? Or groups where folks are talking about projects like this and sharing experiences?

In particular, I'm finding the "place" and "placename" tags to be somewhat confusing for what I want to do, because the physical places I want to tag (with lat/long coordinates and some fencing) manifest in the text in a variety of ways (proper names, metonymy, ellipsis, ironic allusions, via demonyms applied to people or objects, etc.).

Any help or general "pointing in the right direction" that you may be able to offer would be greatly appreciated!

--Megan