Dear Megan,
Your ideas for investigating the concept of place in a literary context sound fascinating, and yes, people do work with the TEI in the ways you are describing. Here is a project I have been dabbling with for a while as a way to explore a 19th-century English epic poem set in the Middle East, and its many and varied references to mappable and unmappable places, considering how these are located in relation to one another in the structural system of the poem and its many prose footnotes. http://ebeshero.github.io/thalaba/graphs.html

I found think there is room and need for new kinds of literary criticism and structural theory to emerge from the kinds of experiments we are doing--to view places not only as represented, but also as they are juxtapositioned and analogized in poems and novels that contribute to building worlds and world views. And yes, TEI gives us a shared markup vocabulary for sharing and communicating these and other concepts. As a community of practice the TEI Consortium offers a great place to find others interested in connecting with your work. I know I'd be excited to see a TEI project investigate the concepts you're contemplating! May I ask what's the novel?

Cheers!
Elisa
--
Elisa Beshero-Bondar, PhD