Megan—Thank you! I’m glad my Thalaba project is helpful for you—I learned my way around Cytoscape by working on that project! I think your project on Tiempo de Silencio is fascinating: you will have many different kinds of locations and relationships among places to think about.

About the various ways to encode place in the TEI, you’ve likely been looking at Chapter 13 of the Guidelines, and the sections about encoding various kinds of geographic and geopolitical locations: http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/ND.html#NDPLAC . But you will want to customize your approach, and I don’t think the TEI is establishing a hierarchy of place so much as offering options for encoding. (I’m not aware, for example, of an element specifically for encoding a room.) But you can adapt the TEI to your project and find a way to encode various kinds of locations. This is an area where some pioneering efforts might be made, I think. Most of our orientation and vocabulary regarding places in digital projects is associated with mapping, but when we work with space and place in literary contexts, we frequently move into zones of mythical and abstract space, or of fictional landscapes.

For Thalaba, and other projects I’m working on, I try to keep the markup simple—<placeName> and <rs type=“place”> vs. <rs type=“metaplace”> are customizations I designed for the project (with a few other attributes in play). But I save the more complex typology of places for a separate “placeography” file, in which I store a catalogue of each distinct place, associated with information about what kind of place it is. You can dereference the markup with a prosopography file, in which each distinct place is given a distinct id, and work in the elements that help to classify it. My approach is basically to harvest widely over a pile of documents, and try to do all the classification work in one place elsewhere. Now, that’s easy for me to say, working on multiple projects at once—it’s a working method. I’ll say it can be difficult to work out how complicated a schema you want to devise, and you may just want to spend a while coding some chapters experimentally and doing a lot of lookup in the TEI Guidelines to work out your strategy.

I guess what I’m saying is that the TEI isn’t really providing a recipe to follow so much as food for thought and guidance, and definitions of the appropriate ways (plural) in which tags can be used. And I also think that encoding places as they’re referenced in literature can be especially and marvellously complex, and we stand to learn a great deal from an adventurous effort to encode them—both within the TEI and in literary scholarship!

Hope this helps a little...
Elisa
--
Elisa Beshero-Bondar, PhD
Director, Center for the Digital Text | Associate Professor of English