Paul,

Michelle Dalmau and I conducted a survey a few years ago of those
working in libraries to ask about their involvement with and interest in
text encoding:

http://jtei.revues.org/1322

We touched on some of these questions.  If it matters what is done
outside libraries, then this may be too narrow to be useful.

You might also be interested in the research that was part of the grant
supporting the development of TEI Tite:

http://www.tei-c.org/Vault/Tite/

That work, however, is even older.

Kevin