Well, yes, <seg> CAN be used like that, to cover all sorts of edge
cases. (Though you may find it needs to be wrapped up in a <p> or
something similar).
But if you;re interested in marking up the liturgy semantically, why not
scripted parts, and <stage> for the "directions" ? Alternatively, you
could use <note>, perhaps with a @type attribute to indicate that it's
an instruction. Either of these options has the advantage that it can
appear within or between paragraphs.