Will Durant used this technique in /The //Story of Civilization/. The
difference in type size was subtle, even easy to overlook. Both kinds of
paragraphs were part of a single narrative flow, but the slightly
smaller print let the author say to the reader, “Yes, this part is a
little more difficult, and I know this whole book is very long. If you
skip this paragraph, don’t worry. You’ll still be able to follow what
comes next.” Durant’s note was: “To bring the book into smaller compass,
reduced type has been used for technical and recondite material.”