Will Durant used this technique in The Story of Civilization. The difference in type size was subtle, even easy to overlook. Both kinds of paragraphs were part of a single narrative flow, but the slightly smaller print let the author say to the reader, “Yes, this part is a little more difficult, and I know this whole book is very long. If you skip this paragraph, don’t worry. You’ll still be able to follow what comes next.” Durant’s note was: “To bring the book into smaller compass, reduced type has been used for technical and recondite material.”