Dear Mike,

It looks like your system assumes a rich taxonomy of objects the textual
cues to which you choose to identify in your corpus. I would suggest
that you first explore the possibilities that <taxonomy> gives you, as
it will free you of the need to parse your attributes later on, but it
will also force you (or help you) to keep your (so far merely implied)
taxonomy consistent throughout.

http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/ref-taxonomy.html

Below is a fragment that uses <seg> alone -- which you may like, because
it's simpler for the encoders.

Remarks:
1. the markup below presupposes several hierarchically organised
<taxonomy> elements in the header.
2. I am not sure what you use @function for, so I just keep it as-is
3. It is a good idea to index at least the added <seg> elements. The
indices I added to them have nearly random content.
4. You don't need @prev on the last one, but it may be useful. It's up
to you and your tools. I assumed a rule whereby if there is no @ana
attribute, it means that the <seg> is a continuation, and @prev points
to the previous one in the chain. But YMMV.
5. Sorry about the line breaks, you may want to paste this fragment into
your test TEI document and reformat.

Hope this helps,

   Piotr

of the Bhargas, on Mount
                   Śuśumāra in a fearsome forest of wild animals</seg>
with a <seg xml:id="d-p3-s4"
                   ana="#audience.Gen">great saṅgha of about 500 monks,
eminent śrāvaka-elders who
                   possessed clairvoyance</seg>.</p>
ana="#past.life.Who">if you wonder whether the
                   brahmin boy Bhadraśuddha was then at that time
someone else, or you are of two
                   minds about it, or doubtful, do not see him so. Why?
Because the bodhisattva
                   mahāsattva Maitreya himself was then at that time the
brahmin boy
                   Bhadraśuddha</seg></p>
                <seg xml:id="d-p-s44" function="modul"
type="#qualities.Buddha" next="#d-p-s45">The
                   Tathāgata was handsome and charismatic, controlled in
his faculties and in his
                   mind. He had attained excellence in control and calm
abiding, and superiority in
                   control and calm abiding. He guarded his faculties,
elephant-like in control of
                   his passions, and was radiant, unsullied, and clear
like a lake.</seg></p>

prev="#d-p-s44">His body was adorned with the
                   thirty-two marks of a great being, and with the
eighty minor marks, like the
                   blossoming flower of a royal sal tree, and towering
like Mount Meru, the king of
                   mountains. His face was as calm as the sphere of the
moon, and radiantly clear and
                   brilliant like the sphere of the sun. His body was
proportioned like a nyagrodha
                   tree, blazing with light and great splendor.</seg></p>