Answering both Martin H. and Paul:

I’m not quite sure what is meant by the difference beween  “types of paragraph” and “types of content.” There is a functional difference in the paragrphs, which in principle could be expressed in many different ways. Lawyers have “fine print” and there the smaller expresses some form of subordination.

Martin H. suggests dividing the sequences of  paragraphs and fine print paragraphs into divs.  But the writer of a Gnomon review would never think of the fine print  paragraph as something that is separated from the previous paragraph by a div-like separation. The Guidelines suggest pretty strongly that a div marks a substantive division.  In my example and Paul’s you need something that says: “we are articulating some fluctuation or alternation within a hierarchical level, but we are not changing the level”. Which may not be easy, or, as Wallace Stevens said “The squirming facts exceed the squamous mind”, and XML is a squamous sort of thing.