Hello Martin,

i agree with the others that MS Word might not be the best choice. Why not use a custom plugin for oXygen’s author via plugin-builder<https://github.com/claudius108/oxygen-addons>. Customising it for the projects needs (see here<https://github.com/claudius108/nerwsc>) was very quick and painless. In combination with Github we have thus created a dual stream proofreading environment. From zero to Github and xml took students hours instead of days.

You can see my instructions to the students (with just a  single proofing stream) here<https://github.com/duncdrum/wsc-data/wiki/Workflow-Data-proofing:-Step-2-Working-in-oXygen-Author>.

The good:
- Allow students familiar with xml to work in the environment of their choice (even WORD or EXCEL).
- Use oxygen author for UI only editing, while limiting the amount of *damage* that students can do.
- Let Github handle the highlighting of conflicts, and progress tracking.
- consistent markup
- very fast results

The bad
- not much
- very first round of pull requests are bit of a mess.
- installing software can be hard.
- about two full days to of prep work splitting xml into editable chunks, adding icons to the plugin and some css.
- i don’t like author mode

Greetings
Duncan