> Martin Holmes and Hugh Cayless have commented on GitHub (without
> rebuttal from anyone else) that of course conformance requires ...
> validity against [tei_all.rng].

True enough, but the validity conformance requires is validity *of
the stuff in the TEI namespace*. Sort of like you used an NVDL schema
that validated constructs in the TEI namespace against tei_all.rnc
and tei_all.isosch, and constructs in your namespace against your
schema(s). Except that the ODD bulding process puts both of those
notional schemas (the TEI and yours) into one output file (.rng) or
two output files (.rnc and .isosch).

> Does it matter to you or WWP whether they are conforming or
> non-conforming uses of TEI?

Ooh. Good question. The answer is (of course) both yes and no. We
care, in the sense that we think about this issue and worry about it.
We do not care, in the sense taht we do not mind ending up with a
use of TEI that is not conforming.

To be fiar, though, I think only 1 of the ODDs I mentioned is
non-conformant.

I just speng ~6 mins looking for that book, and easily found the
cover. I was right, it has a playing card. But I did not find the
content. So I guess I don't get to be disappointed, and can keep a
memory of being thrilled at two different paths to read. (Except that
my recollection is I found it annoying. :-)