Hi, Mike— Your project looks fascinating! I’m going to try to address your questions in reverse order:

Here I’m using an @xml:id to set unique identifiers on each seg, and I’m using @next and @prev to point to the members of a series that span multiple paragraphs in the document. That’s one way of approaching the problem, but there will certainly be others.

Now, as for <interp>, your use of this has a certain logic but isn’t consistent with the TEI Guidelines’ explanation and examples, where the element isn’t being used as markup for base text. Instead, <interp> is basically part of a little family of elements (with <spanGrp> and <span> and more) that are for handling what we call “stand-off” annotation”, for analytical notes with a set vocabulary that you’re appending and attaching usually to a base text. This is a little difficult to explain, so first take a look at http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/AI.html#AISP
and then let’s look at some examples: http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/examples-spanGrp.html
Do you see how that’s being used?

I’d say we don’t want <interp> here, unless you want to come up with a use of <spanGrp> as a means of handling your annotations. That’s worth considering, too!

But I think you might continue simply using the <seg> element in place of how you’re using <interp>. Use your @type to set up a series of set types for seg, when they point out things you care about. Presumably seg elements contain long spans of text that contain information of various kinds that you’re wanting to highlight. What are those various kinds of information? You could come up with @type and @subtype categories to apply to that element.

I hope this resolves the problem and gives you some ideas!

Cheers,
Elisa

--
Elisa Beshero-Bondar, PhD
Director, Center for the Digital Text | Associate Professor of English