On Tue, 11 Apr 2017 11:55:51 -0500
MorphemeAddict <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> David, having called Hepburn and Wade bad transcription systems, what
> do you consider good ones for Japanese and Chinese? What are your
> criteria for these judgments?

For Japanese, Kunrei-siki, which is the system used by the Japanese and
recognised by the ISO. The objection to Hepburn is that it is writing
Japanese as if it were English. To say we should write "ati" as "achi"
because the "t" would be mispronounced by by foreigners is almost like
suggesting Brazilians should re-spell "tio" as "tchiu". Its use on
signs in Japan is only as a legacy of the US occupation.

For Chinese, the obvious choice is Pinyin. Wade-Giles is a mess, even
if you assume it's meant for foreigners. You get -
the same vowel written in different ways: ssÅ­, shih
different vowels written in the same way: po, no
spellings that result in mispronunciations: jen, tao