28.04.2017, 07:37, Olivier Simon wrote:
> <<<I guess Aryans were slaves for the ancient Finns. But isn't it the same
> development as for the word "slave" itself, which referred to Slavs, a
> tribe whose name means "word, reputation, fame, glory"? Oh, look at the
> noble and the glorious, now submitted to slavery!
>

> Indeed, Aryans (Indo-Iranians) were the souther neighbours of ancient Finno-Ugrics. They used some of them as slaves (I think rather as "thralls", since this was not a urban civilisation).

Thrall is a new word to me. The term is interesting historically but
from human rights point of view, a slave is a slave, no matter whether
he or she works at a farm, a ship, a plantation or in a palace.

>   In other Finno-Ugric tongues, the word Aryan meant "South".
>
> During the Carolingian times, many slaves were bought in what is present-day Slovenia, called at that time "Sclavonia". That's why "Slavic" came to mean "sclavus, slave" in European languages.
> "Slavic" comes from "slovo" = "word", itself, as you say, from PIE "klewos" = "glory".

Wiktionary traces them "possibly" to the same root.

Slave, Etymology
"From Middle English, a borrowing from Old French sclave, from Medieval
Latin sclāvus (“slave”), from Late Latin Sclāvus (“Slav”), because Slavs
were often forced into slavery in the Middle Ages,[2][3][4][1] from
Byzantine Greek σκλάβος (sklábos), from Old Church Slavonic словенинъ
(sloveninŭ), possibly from слово (slovo, “word”), from
Proto-Indo-European *ḱléwos (“fame”), from the root *ḱlew- (“to hear”),
from *ḱel- (“to incline”)."
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/slave#Etymology

--Risto