We completed a systematic review on this topic. Sedation is inconsistent.  Onset and duration of sedation are quite variable so child needs extended monitoring. Effective sedation for laceration repair is at least 9 mg/kg.

Naveen Poonai, Kyle Canton, Samina Ali, Shawn Hendrikx, Amit Shah, Michael Miller, Gary Joubert , Michael Rieder, Lisa Hartling. Intranasal ketamine for procedural sedation and analgesia in children: a systematic review. PLoS One. 2017; 12(3):e0173253. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0173253. PMID 28319161

Naveen Poonai MSc MD FRCPC

Paediatric Emergency Physician, Children's Hospital, London Health Sciences Center

Associate Professor Paediatrics and Internal Medicine, Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry

Associate Scientist, Child Health Research Institute

Research Director, Division of Paediatric Emergency Medicine

800 Commissioners Road East, Room E4-221, London, Ontario, N6A 5W9

Phone: 519 694 5309  Fax: 519 667 6769 Alternate email: [log in to unmask]

[https://gwwa.lhsc.on.ca/gw/webacc?action=Get.Embedded.Image&User.context=c385f7cb5e8f8a64c844cada6503fe225ca8575&Embedded.Image.id=15033646d32a.mpf]

[https://gwwa.lhsc.on.ca/gw/webacc?action=Get.Embedded.Image&User.context=c385f7cb5e8f8a64c844cada6503fe225ca8575&Embedded.Image.id=/15025caefd3a.mpf]