Fontforge can open the files created by METAFONT, giving you a very "dense"
background image for each character which can be autotraced with potrace
with excellent results (but make sure to select the lot and run the
"Simplify", "Add points at extrema" and "Round to int" commands!) The
result can easily be copied into any desired Unicode range after forcing
the encoding to Unicode, either manually or using a Python script. That's
how you make fonts if you have an anti-GUI condition like cerebral palsy.
:-)