We also have used nitrous successfully in the PED for 7 years.
1-we did not select an age limit ( but have never used in anyone <2 years)
2-we titrate from 50-70%
3-all patients are on pulse ox and have full VS before use
4-it is considered an anxiolytic/ minimal sedation by Department of
anesthesia
5-We advise parents and staff in 1st trimester to not be be present in room
6- we do not use in any patient with suspected trapped air ( PTX)
7- A single dose of narcotic is allowed 20 minutes before administration
for painful procedures (usually PO or IN)

Good luck. Its a great adjuvant for minor procedures.

Susan Duffy,MD
Hasbro Childrenšs Hospital
Providence, RI

On 6/8/17, 5:31 PM, "Pediatric Emergency Medicine Discussion List on
behalf of Goetz, Kathleen" <[log in to unmask] on behalf of
[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>We've been using nitrous oxide for inpatient,  ED, and outpatient
>procedures for 6 or 7 years.
>1 - we use nitrous oxide down to 6 months of age
>2 - we use 50-70% and went through the same anesthesia and sedation
>committee approval route.  Any concentration is classified as
>Anxiolysis/Minimal Sedation.
>3 - We do not use nitrous if suspected increased ICP associated with
>medical or traumatic etiologies.
>Good luck.  It has really decreased our use procedural sedation.
>Kathey
>
>Kathleen Goetz, M.D.
>Medical Director, Swedish Pediatric Emergency Medicine
>Seattle, WA
>

>Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

This transmission is intended only for the addressee(s) listed above and may contain information that is confidential. If you are not the addressee, any use, disclosure, copying or communication of the contents of this message is prohibited. Please contact me if this message was transmitted in error.