The various folks of Mars appear to have different naming conventions.  The
names of the Hrossa, Sorns, and Pfifltriggi appear suitably Hrossan,
Sornish, and Pfiflish (plus the Pfifltriggi names may reflect elements of
their own language, whether the language still exists in the present or
not).

Among the Red Men, names often appear to be made up of elements of their
parents' names (Car-thoris from John Carter and Dejah Thoris), and the
Orovars seem to have their own naming tradition.

Warriors among the Green Men have a complex naming system based upon
combat.  I don't know how Sola got her name -- perhaps among the
non-warriors there are temporary eggling names that remain.

Among the Kaldanes, I'm guessing individuals have a Drone Name and a Swarm
Name.

In the Swarm of Luud we have:

*KING LUUD

*GHEK LUUD

*SEPT LUUD

The King may be called "Luud," "the Luud," "the King."  We never get the
name *King Luud, but I suspect it's a cromulent form.

The drone Ghek can be called "Ghek," "Luud," "the/a/this/that Luud."  We
don't get *Ghek Luud."

Now, if King Luud dies and Ghek becomes the next king, Ghek loses the name
Luud, and the entire swarm takes Ghek as the Swarm Name.  He is then "Ghek,
"the Ghek," or "the King."

Sept would then be called "Sept," "Ghek," "the/a/this/that Ghek."  And
perhaps *Sept Ghek.

The offspring that King Ghek produces would be named A Ghek, B Ghek, C
Ghek, etc.

Moak, Nolach, and Luud were all probably drones at one time who, after
becoming Kings, dropped their Swarm Names.

I think this system would account for the names that Gahan of Gathol (or
John Carter) gives us.  The confusion comes from ambiguities in the text:
usually Burroughs the narrator gives us a little explanation of what's
going on in the travelogue.  Moreover, it's possible that Gahan does not
understand the naming convention or does not present it fully -- or that
Red Martians don't really understand things.

Anyway, I would expect that in Helium right now there's a Ghek Swarm with
little Gheklings.

Perhaps a different theory will present itself after I relisten to the
audiobook, but for the time being I think this explains the story that
Gahan tells.