‚ÄčI used the word "often" in the sense of "many times" or "frequently."  At
no point did I claim that Burroughs (or Uncle John Carter or Gahan of
Gathol) always did anything.  In fact, I gave an example of the Manatorian
names in which I imagined that the hyphens could have been Uncle Jack's
attempt at indicating vowel length.  (John Carter never claims to be a
scholar).

Indeed, when I used the word "imagination" I meant it in the sense of
"creativity" or "forming new ideas."  At no point did I actually make a
hypothesis.

I'm interested in creativity, imagination, and art as they interact with
language -- in this case, the romantic idea of an ancient Martian language.

Also, I'm interested in making jokes about Ghek action figures.  I wonder
whether there are any on Ebay.