Hi Lou,

conceptually speaking there shouldn't be a significant difference so far
as I can see, quite the contrary: I think the are made for the same
purposes.

But regarding the expectations of the Image API <surface> might deliver
to few information itself. What the API expects is this:

{scheme}://{server}{/prefix}/{identifier}/{region}/{size}/{rotation}/{quality}.{format}

<surface> is able to deliver {region}.

Any contained <graphic> is able to deliver its own image size but this
is not what is meant by {size}. Implicit default value might be "max".
Information on {quality} might be only implicit as well ("default").
Both informations can't be stored explicitely.

Any contained <zone> is able to deliver {rotation}.

Best, Torsten

--
Torsten Schassan - Digitale Editionen, Abteilung Handschriften und
Sondersammlungen