Hi All,

Thanks for weighing in! I didn’t give enough context. We're not doing embedded markup for the collations in ISE3. Our predecessor (ISE2) opted for standoff markup, which is a good choice for Shakespeare, given the number of witnesses and editions one must collate. The text would drown in a sea of collations. So we have a separate collation file that uses the <app> element for each variant.

Here's an example of a relineation in Henry V. In the 1623 folio, two short speeches are set on different lines (TLN 58 and TLN 59). The Cambridge edition suggests the lines are a “shared verse line.”

In the ISE3  text (which adopts the Cambridge lineation), the passage is encoded as follows:
<lb n="20"/>
               <lb type="tln" n="58"/>
               <sp who="#iseH5_FM_Ely">
                  <speaker>Ely</speaker>
                  <lg>
                     <l>This would drink deep.</l>
                  </lg>
               </sp>

               <lb n="20"/>
               <lb type="tln" n="59"/>
               <sp who="#iseH5_FM_Canterbury">
                  <speaker>Canterbury</speaker>
                  <lg>
                     <l>'Twould drink the cup and all.</l>
                  </lg>
               </sp>

Note that the lines are both n=”20” – ie, same line of verse.

The collation file has to give credit to Cambridge for the lineation, and also record the Folio’s reading since this edition takes the Folio as its base text. Here’s our programmatic pass at converting the apparatus file from IML to TEI. The content of the <lem> and <rdg> elements comes straight from the ISE2 IML encoding, which has always had an eye on rendering rather than telling the truth about the text.

<app from="tln:58" to="tln:59" n="20">
                 <rdg wit="wit:F1">This would . . . deepe. / . . . and all.</rdg>
            </app>
As you can see, ISE2 editors used ellipses and slashes (typographical markup that has value in print, but in TEI suggests that the three spaced dots or the forward slash are part of the lemma). The editor has added a <note> and narrative content to tell us that it’s a “shared line”; we can retain the <note> and contents.

Our challenges is how to represent the lemma, the readings, and the line breaks.

FWIW, on the ISE2 site, the passage is rendered as follows because the rendering puts a new speech prefix on a new line. So the collation and embedded note become extra important in that it offers information the rendering suppresses.
Ely
This would drink deep.
Canterbury
'Twould drink the cup and all.

Hope you TEI wizards will see a quick solution here!

Best,
Janelle