In our project, we prefer to encode the expansion, because some
abbreviations are ambiguous; for instance ᵱ may be "par" or "per".

Even though it is not kasher, we encode, for instance :
<ex>par</ex>agraph so that we know there was an abbreviation an we
resolve it.

ᵱ than it would be to resolve ᵱ as either par or per.

     Bertrand