G'day Ben!

My understanding of the IIIF Presentation APIs and TEI facsimiles is that the equivalences are:
  • IIIF Collection = <tei:teiCorpus>
  • IIIF Manifest = <tei:TEI> containing a <tei:facsimile>
  • IIIF Canvas = <tei:surface> or <tei:surfaceGroup>
  • A IIIF "Image annotation" on an IIIF Canvas = a <tei:graphic> element in a <tei:surface>.
  • A IIIF Image annotation that refers to a sub-region of a Canvas = a <tei:graphic> inside a <tei:zone> which is inside a <tei:surface>. In IIIF the region of the annotation is given in a URI fragment identifier (e.g. #xywh=0,0,500,500); the corresponding <tei:zone> has attributes which specify a bounding box or polygon as a sequence of X,Y points.
  • A IIIF annotation which isn't an image could correspond to various things in TEI: simple comments attached directly to an image would be modelled in TEI as <tei:desc>  or <tei:label> elements within the <tei:surface> or <tei:zone>.
Slightly more complex is the notion of ordering:

I hope that's helpful!

Might I ask, by the way, what use case you have in mind, particularly? Were you interested in making TEI texts that refer to IIIF services, or perhaps in making IIIF services which publish TEI texts? Or something else?

Personally I think the two models are conceptually very close and I can see possibilities for translation in both directions.

Regards

Conal