I wouldn't sedate for PTA. Posterior oro-pharyngeal procedures involve risk of laryngospasm and/or aspiration, obstruction, etc, which, like other potential adverse events, if not realized will only falsely reassure that sedated procedures of the like are worth doing in the PED and will establish precedent in eyes of subspecialty proceduralist who will push for doing more in future on basis of that precedent.

Ben

Benjamin F. Jackson, MD
MUSC Ped Emerg Med

                 http://listserv.brown.edu/ped-em-l.html