No sedation for peritonsillar abscess I&D. Higher potential for undesired complication

Halim
Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 1, 2017, at 3:17 PM, Michael Falk <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

It’s an interesting question…my primary concern would be from an airway standpoint.  Given that they will be sedated and you are working on the airway itself, they would be more prone to complications than other ED sedation candidates (i.e., with ketamine they would have a lot more secretions from oral stimulations and can be real pain).    I don’t know of any data on this population.

On related them…how many people drain PTA’s on their own or try to before calling ENT?  I always like to do my own in the older child who will tolerate the procedure better.
Mike Falk
NY, NY.

> On Aug 1, 2017, at 1:31 PM, Rachel Tuuri <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> Greetings PEM Colleagues,
>  Our ENT team has recently approached our group about performing sedations for peritonsillar abscess drainage on younger/anxious children in the PED.  I am interested in knowing if your institution does sedate in the PED for PTA drainage and your institution's experience with doing this.  Many thanks.
>

> Sincerely,
>
> Rachel Tuuri, MD, FAAP, FACEP
> PED Clinical Director
> Associate Professor of Emergency Medicine
> University of New Mexico

> The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is:
>                http://listserv.brown.edu/ped-em-l.html

The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is: