We have it in Dallas and have been doing it for years. Works well and good for patient care. Minimal impact on ED workflow

Halim
Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 10, 2017, at 2:10 PM, Michael S. Mitchell/Emergency Medicine <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Good afternoon.

Our PICU physicians are asking that all PICU admissions from the ED have a bedside handoff in the PICU.  Basically, they want a senior resident/PEM fellow to escort the patient to the PICU (about 6-7 min away from the Peds ED) and then give a detailed hand-off (much like rounding) to a multi-disciplinary team in the PICU including RN, MD, and RT.

Their request is incredibly costly for the peds ED as our residents and fellows are usually not expendable.

Have other institutions tried this and found a way that it works?   We certainly see the benefit for that one single patient, but it comes at a cost of caring for the rest of the ED.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

Michael Mitchell, MD
Medical Director-Pediatric ED

Michael S. Mitchell, MD
Assistant Professor of Emergency Medicine

Section of Pediatric Emergency Medicine

Wake Forest University School of Medicine

Medical Center Boulevard

Winston-Salem, NC 27157

The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is:
                http://listserv.brown.edu/ped-em-l.html