From: Pediatric Emergency Medicine Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Khan, Naghma
Sent: Thursday, August 10, 2017 2:27 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Peds ED-PICU Handoff

This is absurd.
What makes absolute sense is that they come down to the ED with their multi-disciplinary team to pick up the patient.

Naghma

> On Aug 10, 2017, at 2:10 PM, Michael S. Mitchell/Emergency Medicine <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> Good afternoon.
>
> Our PICU physicians are asking that all PICU admissions from the ED have a bedside handoff in the PICU.  Basically, they want a senior resident/PEM fellow to escort the patient to the PICU (about 6-7 min away from the Peds ED) and then give a detailed hand-off (much like rounding) to a multi-disciplinary team in the PICU including RN, MD, and RT.
>
> Their request is incredibly costly for the peds ED as our residents and fellows are usually not expendable.
>
> Have other institutions tried this and found a way that it works?   We certainly see the benefit for that one single patient, but it comes at a cost of caring for the rest of the ED.
>
> Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.
>
> Michael Mitchell, MD
> Medical Director-Pediatric ED
>

> Michael S. Mitchell, MD
> Assistant Professor of Emergency Medicine
>
> Section of Pediatric Emergency Medicine
>
> Wake Forest University School of Medicine
>
> Medical Center Boulevard
>
> Winston-Salem, NC 27157
>
> For more information, send mail to [log in to unmask] with
> the message: info PED-EM-L The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is:
>                 http://listserv.brown.edu/ped-em-l.html

This e-mail message (including any attachments) is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this message (including any attachments) is strictly prohibited.

If you have received this message in error, please contact the sender by reply e-mail message and destroy all copies of the original message (including attachments).

For more information, send mail to [log in to unmask] with the message: info PED-EM-L The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is:
                 http://listserv.brown.edu/ped-em-l.html

This message (including any attachments) is confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed, and is protected by law. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete the message (including any attachments) and notify the originator that you received the message in error. Any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message, or the taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifies and with authority, states them to be the views of Tenet Healthcare Corporation.