I make every effort to escort the patient or send a fellow with Patients going to the PICU.  Sign out is always better, changes in health status can be addressed and the PICU really appreciates it.  Also, it builds collegiality and cuts down on complaints later.  Our PICU transfers are certainly the sickest kids in the dept, so we think detailed, accurate sign out for them is most important.  The coughs and colds may have to wait a bit longer, but it seems worth it.  The PICU team has a sicker, more acutely ill population and so rarely have time to come down to the ED, but they also make the effort when possible.  Finally,  the parents appreciate you introducing them to the new team and walking them through the stressful transition. It's not always possible or necessary to send people, but we always try to.

Long time listener, first time responder
John Bahling

Sent from my iPhone