The idea is very noble, and something that in the right setting (i.e. Close enough physical locations, appropriate staffing, and "slower" time in the department ) it sounds like a good patient handoff (safety) process. Unfortunately, it may not work out for everyone for multi factorial reasons, which are too many to discuss here. The old cliche of one size fits all does not apply to the discussion at hand. If it seems to work for one site the more power to them. Leaders lead by example so in my opinion if this is a process the PICU wants roll out (request, mandate) then I feel when looking at it from the perspective of all stakeholders that the PICU should volunteer in bringing the team down to the ER for the handoff to take place. Maybe by the time they arrive the next PICU patient is ready for handoff, and saves the PICU team a second trip down :-). I can see both sides of the issue but in general the PICU is usually better equipped (volume, flow, one on one nursing,etc) to come down to ER rather than the other way around. Every place is unique and ultimately doing what's right for your patient(s) is the most important thing.... the answer to what's right is unique to everyone's setting so only those at the ground level at your site can answer that question.... my guess is majority of Peds ER's will struggle with that model and will decide not to do it when weighing all pros and cons...

DH

Sent from my iPhone

Dennis A. Hernandez, MD, MBA, FACEP
Medical Director, Pediatric Emergency Services
Immediate Past Chief, Florida Hospital for Children, Walt Disney Pavilion
Florida Emergency Physicians
Core Faculty, Florida Hospital Emergency Medicine Residency Program
Assistant Professor, University of Central Florida School of Medicine
Assistant Professor, Florida State University School of Medicine
iPhone: 727-798-0147