From: Pediatric Emergency Medicine Discussion List [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Shawn Robinson [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, August 11, 2017 3:33 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Peds ED-PICU Handoff

It seems that many of these policies/workflows/algorithms/tiers/etc are predicated on a learner having every patient in the ED. I struggle with this as I like to see patients on my own, without a resident. This is especially true when we have 4th year students (I'm not sending them for handoff). Should I leave the ED, and therefore all of the patients I am responsible for and the fellow supervision I am also responsible for, for at least 20 minutes? I actually had this same scenario yesterday when I had a PICU player without any resident at the end of my shift. I called and told the PICU the situation (talked to a different attending than who had accepted the admission and she knew very little of the story other than the diagnosis). She was understanding and agreed that there was no benefit from sending someone who did not see the patient, but wanted to make sure I knew "about the PICU handoff workflow." I reassured her that I knew about it and unless she was ready right then, I was not staying any longer past my shift.

Interesting enough, when I work at the free standing, the requirement is only that I make the initial phone call for acceptance and not update at the time of transfer, even when sending by local ALS because critical care transport is not always available.

There's probably a point somewhere in that rambling/venting.

Thanks for listening
Shawn Robinson

Sent from my iPhone