Thanks for the feedback from folks.  I almost always use the fast gut.  But if I have to, I use the vicryl rapide and do as others have suggested, advise the parents to wash with soap and water.  I also advise them to keep it dry for the first 2-3 days, then use an antibiotic ointment, at bedtime at least, to help quicken the dissolving process.
Cheers,
Mike