It’s an interesting question…my primary concern would be from an airway standpoint.  Given that they will be sedated and you are working on the airway itself, they would be more prone to complications than other ED sedation candidates (i.e., with ketamine they would have a lot more secretions from oral stimulations and can be real pain).    I don’t know of any data on this population.

On related them…how many people drain PTA’s on their own or try to before calling ENT?  I always like to do my own in the older child who will tolerate the procedure better.
Mike Falk
NY, NY.

                 http://listserv.brown.edu/ped-em-l.html