I had always thought that the debate around HS was settled, but there was a recent systemic review in the CMAJ 2016, that did not find it to be beneficial when compared to other mechanisms.

https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/canadian-journal-of-emergency-medicine/article/hypertonic-saline-in-severe-traumatic-brain-injury-a-systematic-review-and-metaanalysis-of-randomized-controlled-trials/C3FB8AA0FE865B173423F6933A293835 <https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/canadian-journal-of-emergency-medicine/article/hypertonic-saline-in-severe-traumatic-brain-injury-a-systematic-review-and-metaanalysis-of-randomized-controlled-trials/C3FB8AA0FE865B173423F6933A293835>

There is good discussion of this on SGEM:

http://thesgem.com/2016/03/sgem150-hypertonic-saline-for-traumatic-brain-injury/ <http://thesgem.com/2016/03/sgem150-hypertonic-saline-for-traumatic-brain-injury/>

I contrast these to the article below which actually did find HS was better.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4665128/ <https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4665128/>

That said…I go for it before I would use mannitol.  But it’s an interesting debate and am curious to hear what others are doing?
Mike Falk
NY, NY.

P.S.  I am adding Cochrane review of Mannitol.

http://www.cochrane.org/CD001049/INJ_mannitol-for-acute-traumatic-brain-injury

                 http://listserv.brown.edu/ped-em-l.html