They crashed Linguifex with the heavy spam (Apache couldn't cope - should
really investigate YAWS) and the OS just locked up completely as Apache
went and nommed all the memory and CPU. Barely managed to ssh in and
restart apache, avoiding host reboot.

Could Dreamhost restart the stuff running *. conlang.org?

I'm inclined to believe some botnet recently learnt the word "conlang".