Hallo conlangers!

On 25/08/2017 23:08 'Ph. D.' wrote:

> Anyone ever heard of this guy?
>
> http://www.neatorama.com/2017/08/24/George-Psalmanazar-The-Lying-Linguist/

Yes, heard of him. Yet, there were earlier fictional languages; the idea
of inventing a language is just as old as the idea of inventing a
country. After all, foreign countries have foreign languages; why should
imaginary countries be different in this regard? And already, Thomas
More's _Utopia_ (1516) gives a brief sample of the Utopian language,
which somewhat resembles Latin and Greek:

Vtopos ha Boccas peula chama polta chamaan
Bargol he maglomi baccan soma gymnosophaon
Agrama gymnosophon labarem bacha bodamilomin
Voluala barchin heman la lauoluola dramme pagloni*

'*The commander Utopus made me, who was once not an island, into an
island. I alone of all nations, without philosophy, have portrayed for
mortals the philosophical city. Freely I impart my benefits; not
unwillingly I accept whatever is better.'

There's also Gabriel de Foigny's _La Terre Australe Connue_ (1676)
featuring an "Australian" language, which is an oligosynthetic language
of the "philosophical" type popular in his time.

--
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf