On 4 Sep 2017 03:53, "Dirk Elzinga" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Hi Lauren! Let me just fanboy for a second ... I LOVE YOUR PODCAST! I
listen to it (among others) while I run.

So, a bit of googling suggests that the podcast in question is
Lingthusiasm, which I have duly subscribed to (but not yet listened to).

The same googling took me to Lauren's blog Superlinguo. The most recent
entry there is about failures of the kiki--bouba test (of abstract
phonosemantic iconicity): her research finds (unsurprisingly, to me) that
the test fails when the test words lack the property of being
phonologically licit words -- a property she calls 'wordiness'. In my work
on English I distinguish between phonological licitness, i.e. structures
that the combinatoric rules generate, from what I call 'cromulence', the
property of being a phonologically normal word (and not a borrowing or an
expressive like _boing_): if the test words are categorically illicit, then
really they cannot justly be considered valid test words in the first
place, but the interesting question is whether the test fails on licit but
incromulent words; my hunch is that the test should work despite mere
incromulence.

--And.

The course looks fun. When I taught introduction to linguistics, I would
build in a set of language construction activities following each section
of the course (phonetics, phonology, morphology, syntax, etc). The end
product would be a more or less complete grammatical sketch of a language.
I was the only one to do this, but the students responded well to the
activities. The curricular needs of the dept have shifted, and I no longer
teach the introductory course. I spend most of my time teaching phonology
and field methods now.

Here's hoping that you get to teach the course! (And if you do, we want to
hear about it on the podcast ;-). )

Dirk