I would assume the borrowings initially entered the language verbally, and
not in writing. I think the average English speaker being unaccustomed to
hearing "tl" would simply hear it as "kl". It's not that the listener heard
"tl" and thought "that sound is wrong", it's simply that they never heard
"tl" in the first place. Their ear wasn't trained to hear it.

--gary