发件人: Constructed Languages List <[log in to unmask]> 代表 Vitaly Osipov <[log in to unmask]>
发送时间: 2017年9月5日 18:12
收件人: [log in to unmask]
主题: Re: (How) Do You Distinguish Proper Inclusion vs. Equation?

>IMHO it’s more of a word order in Russian. “Он доктор” (usually “он -
>доктор” in writing) means he is a doctor, included in a profession.
>“Доктор - он” is “the doctor [you’re looking for] is him”, equation.

>Other than that, it depends on context, as in all, I think, languages
>that don’t use articles. If a object (a/the doctor) has not been
>mentioned in the context, “он доктор” means “he is a doctor”,
>otherwise it’s “he is the doctor”. Using word order or something like
>"Он (э)тот доктор.” ("he is this/that doctor [we are/were recently
>talking about…]") sounds more natural to me, though.

>I guess in translations of “Doctor Who” they say “он - ДОКТОР”, with
>intonation similar to the one they use in “he is THE Doctor”.

>PS disclaimer - not a linguist.

One might wish that people wouldn't feel the need to make disclaimers like that (seems there was another one earlier today). Yes, professional and armchair linguists reside here as well as people who really know their stuff, but that shouldn't inhibit you from jumping into the fray. At its heart, it's meant to be a watering hole for those who love languages and the secret vice. If it feels like a thread is getting too arcanely Linguistics 601, slog through it or sit that one out. But contributions like the one made above are welcome and valued. Please don't feel the need to disclaim your status here.

Kou

Kou