On 6 September 2017 at 11:54, PETER BLEACKLEY <[log in to unmask]
> wrote:

> In Old English and Middle English, many words ended with an e, which has
> been muted in modern English. Function words are generally unstressed,
> which makes the word boundary before them weaker, so the rule "Fricatives
> are voiced between vowels" spread to the þ in function words. However,
> since there is a following consonant in "through", þ could not be
> interpreted as intervocalic there.

As I think Alex noted, at some point this purely phonological phenomenon
(whose character you describe) must have become transformed into a rule
sensitive to word-class, since only this would account for how come initial
/D/ is entirely absent from normal (i.e. 'cromulent') open-class words and
for how come initial simplex /T/ is (almost) entirely absent from
non-open-class words (the synchronic exceptions are _thir-(ty/teen)_, which
presumably arose metathetically subsequent to the death of the th-voicing
rule). The question then is whether, once this word-class-sensitive rule
arose, the failure of /Dr-/ to ensue was merely accidental (as Alex had
seemed to suggest) or rather (as I countered) because original /Tr-/ never
satisfied the phonological conditions on the application of the
word-class-sensitive rule (-- the aetiology of those phonological
conditions being as per your description).

--And.

<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>